Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dude, where's my car?

Sometime in the wee hours of the morning someone stole my car from right behind my house.  It was parked in our designated spot.    It's been reported to the police and my insurance has set me up with a Nissan Altima while I wait to see if it turns up. 

I am remorseful.  I paid for that car with my own money soon after I started my first job and I really feel very attached to it.   It's in great shape and I have carefully maintained it for 7 years.  It has 119,000 miles on it, and I hoped to keep it for at least 3 more years.  This is the 5th time I've been robbed in the last 10 years.  Two years ago some thieves took the distributor (an $800 part) from this car while it was parked on my street.   It's frustrating.  The sad part is that after a while I am getting used to this.

My insurance agent says that 80% of stolen cars turn up in two weeks, so I have to wait until then for them to pay out.     However, the guy from Enterprise rent-a-car told me that from time-to-time some organized crime group steals a large number of Acuras and Hondas are all in one night and drives them to Canada.  Once they cross the border they are loaded on freighters to be resold in Asia.   It seems a little bit of a complex operation for my '95 Acura Integra.  I have a feeling that the same people who stole my distributor two years ago needed more parts.  I just hope it doesn't come back totaled.

Well.  In other news, I'm almost done with the semester.  This incident has put a damper on my push to the finish, but what can you do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brody the Bulldog said...

I feel your pain, SpaceMonkey.

Why - just a few short months ago, my *chuck-it* tennis ball thrower was stolen right from under my nose while at the dog park. (I'm serious.) After many nights of howling for its return, I realized that it too must have been driven to Canada and shipped off to Asia.

Perhaps it was just trying to get back to its homeland...

Rest assured I will keep my nose peeled for your Integra. Please - do keep us updated.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home