Thursday, August 17, 2006

2nd Trip to Shanghai

Here is my report of my first couple of days...

I flew to Shanghai via Chicago on tuesday the 15th. It was a pretty decent flight. I'm a little dissapointed in the quality of American Airlines International Coach. They have a nice entertainment systems with screens at your seat, but the quality of the movies has definately dropped. Some manager probably said, "Get cheaper movies!", so they did. The best movie was "RV" with Robin Williams. yikes. This is about a family that rents an RV and has crazy adventures. They probably got that for free. Additionally, my controller was faulty, so I had trouble changing the volumes. Oh yeah. The earphones were of poor quality too. The sound was highly distorted (squeaky) and they hurt my ears after about 30 minutes of use. Luckily, I had my own set in my carry-on bag. ugh. You know how else they "saved" money? They cancelled all of the on-board magazines. That must have saved them about $25 for the flight. Good job! But, I got here safely, which is the important thing...

ok, that is the end of my ranting. I wont talk about the service or food.

This time, upon arrival in Shanghai, Ben picked me up and we took the new MagLev train to get to his apartment. The train is built on an elevated track system and has electromagnets that can levitate it above the track while it's moving. This allows it to move extremely fast. We reached a top speed of 430 kph (267 mph)! This is about half the speed of an aircraft. In 7 minutes we were within a mile or so of his apartment. Last time I came to Shanghai it took 45 minutes by car to get here. Ben told me that I am one of a very tiny fraction of people in the world that have ridden on a working MagLev train! Here is the photo:

maglev speed

We have spent the first couple of days working at home and catching up on eachothers research. I have a few good meals already... M is jealous about the good food I am able to eat here, so I wont go into too much detail!

Everywhere we go, we bring little Henry Koo. He is 7 1/2 months old and very well behaved. Here is a photo of Ben and Henry taking a quick nap at the Hagen-Dasz across from the Bund:

ben and henry

More photos and stories later... On Sunday we are planning to take a break and spend some time seeing the sights of Shanghai.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bella said...

That train sounds cool! How long before we get to take over the green line? HA!!!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home